Thursday, November 23, 2023

THE TURKISH SEBIL WATER FOUNTAIN OF HERAKLION - "A PLACE TO DRINK AND GATHER."


 



     When walking through Karnarous Square in Heraklion (pop. 177,000), I noticed some small tables and coffee being served next to an old round domed building. It was so picturesque that I decided to stop for a coffee. I then noticed water sprockets coming out of the wall where I was sitting and soon learned that this structure is a Sebil Water Fountain that was built in 1776 to provide free water to the public.


   During the Ottoman period, when water was not easily available to many, it was common for wealthy Turks to pay for the construction of the fountains so everyone would have clean drinking water. This well-preserved fountain, built by Hadji Ibrahim Aga, is the only Sebil or "charity fountain" that is still standing in Heraklion.

    Today is Thanksgiving in America and I will once again head down to Karnarous Square to enjoy a coffee and pastry from a nearby bakery while I watch the flock of blackbirds land on the roof of this old Sybil and I will remember to count my blessings. 


KARNAROUS SQUARE and MARKET STREET



No comments:

Post a Comment