Monday, May 11, 2020

MORE THAN A DOOR

TARIFA, SPAIN

Walking down an old street looking for an interesting door to photograph is, for me, like visiting an art museum and searching for a favorite work of art. My eyes seem to gravitate to the doors and entryways, and if one of them catches my eye I will often linger a while to view it from different perspectives and take photos.
TALLINN, ESTONIA
For thousands of years, doors have served as entryways to dwellings throughout the world and across all cultures. The first recorded history was found over 4,000 years ago on Egyptian tomb paintings. Early doors used throughout Mesopotamia and the ancient world were merely hides or textiles. Craftsmanship was at its finest in the 15th and 16th centuries during the Renaissance period--a time when Michelangelo described doors as the "gates of paradise."
FRASCATI, ITALY
Doors come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. They can be elegant, quirky, exotic, faded, or run down. Some come with stained-glass windows, graffiti, latticework, cobblestone steps, or pointed arches. Many are adorned with handles and knockers that are relics. Nearby patios, benches, pets, columns, flowerpots, rocks, lighting, or ironwork frequently add interest.
Someday I plan to roam those old streets again, but for now, I will have to be content with the memories and spend my extra time organizing photos. Thanks to Google Photos, I now have online travel albums that include my favorite, Doors.
Thanks for reading my blog. If anyone has any door photos or stories to share please send them to MyVintageJourneys@gmail.com. I will add them to this post.




MALAGA, SPAIN

FRIGLIANA, ITALY
VENICE, ITALY

KRAKOW, POLAND



     



No comments:

Post a Comment