Wednesday, December 10, 2014

HONOLULU ---ON THE WAY TO AUSTRALIA

   
VIEW FROM HULA GRILL WAIKIKI
      We booked a flight from San Diego to Sydney, Australia on Hawaiian Airlines that required a 24 hour stopover in Honolulu (see previous post).  We decided it made some sense to break up the 16-hour flight with time in paradise. The disadvantages were the hassle of gathering up luggage, finding a taxi, and checking into a hotel for one night.

MILA SLEEPING

      It was late in the afternoon when we finally walked out of our hotel to enjoy some down time in Waikiki. After putting our toes in Mamala Bay, we continued our stroll along Kalakaua Avenue. We stopped for fish and chips along the way at the Hula Grill, (2335 Kalakaua Ave) just in time to enjoy the spectacular sunset over the turquoise waters of Waikiki. The journey continued with occasional visits to luxury hotels along the way. One of the benefits of visiting in December is a chance to see the colorful Christmas trees, decorated Hawaiian style. We arrived back at our hotel about 9 pm and were in bed shortly thereafter.
      Not surprisingly, I woke up at 4am the next morning which is about the 6am in California. It was dark, but I couldn't resist heading out for another walk.  I loved the quietness of an early morning, even though it included a few party-goers still heading home from the night before. Fortunately, McDonald’s is open 24 hours so I could get my morning coffee. Although I walked out the first time, and reentered later because I didn't want to hear the argument going on at the counter between two of the customers.
     
WAIKIKI BEACH
     I was glad for the sunrise about 5:30 am because then I felt safe walking along Kapl'olani Park to the New Otani Hotel where we stayed in the 1980s with my parents— my favorite area because it is a little more peaceful than the rest of Waikiki.
      I returned in time to hang out with my granddaughter Mila so her parents could go out for breakfast. She ate too – peas. I fed her real food for the first time using the latest in colorful plastic spoons that the babies get the pleasure of using these days.
Six-month old Mila is enjoying the travel; she likes activity, watching people and, of course, all the attention. 
RON, SUE, ANNA, JOHN & MILA
      We headed to the airport at 8:45 am the next morning for another ten hours of flying. We all agreed that the layover was an experience that we would not forget and was worth the extra effort. Fortunately, the rest of the travel went smoothly and Mila's grandpa said she was the best behaved kid on the plane (there were a lot of kids on that flight).
ROYAL HAWAIIAN RESORT

LOVE THIS TREE
SAND CASTLES


MAYBE NEXT TIME




No comments:

Post a Comment