Thursday, August 28, 2014

FOUR-YEARS OF VINTAGE JOURNEYS

ANTHROPOLOGIE
FORUM SHOPS IN LAS VEGAS

    It has been four years since I started my blog, and I look back with fond memories of the day I came up with the name My Vintage Journeys. I was tagging along on a shopping trip in Minneapolis with my daughter, Anna, and her friend Natalie—they were in search of the “right dress” for a coming event. We were in Anthropologie which is an impressive boutique-like store with an underlying mission “to create and seek products that inspire the imagination.”
     Somehow casually walking around, without a shopping agenda, and looking at the creative displays of clothing, accessories, and home decor lead to my inspiration. I don't exactly remember a specific display, but surely the vintage flair of the shop had something to do with it.
     Each one of the over 180 Anthropologie stores worldwide is designed individually with wood-planked floors and vaulted ceilings. I guess that's why the stores are intriguing. Each one is different. Their buyers travel the world in search of unusual decorative objects, furniture and textiles. They visit flea markets in Paris, remote villages in India, and obscure art studios in Turkey.
     Since discovering them in 2010, I rarely pass one of the stores without walking through to enjoy the latest artistic displays and styles. It's kind of like looking at Pinterest. I rarely purchase anything, but it sure is fun to look.
                                                         * * *
     Now that I had the name for my blog—I needed to start the writing. The inspiration for this came from the Jet Blue “All-You-Can-Jet” pass that we had just purchased on a whim. The pass allowed unlimited travel on Jet Blue for one month, beginning in early September of that year. My first post, “Travel Challenge #1,” basically covered the test of putting it all together. As I recall, with all of the connections and 57 cities to choose from, it was far from easy.
     In looking back I managed to post on each of the places we flew to: New York; Bermuda; Fort Meyer, FL; Boston; Burlington, VT; Raleigh, NC; and Chicago, where the trip started and ended. We were living in Minneapolis at the time so Chicago was the closest city that Jet Blue flew to.
CHICAGO

     Although hectic, we enjoyed the trip and would have signed up again the next year if it were offered, but it was not. Like so many things in life, there may never be a second chance. My father use to say, “Do it while you can.” I think he was right.
                                                    * * *
     Jet Blue has brought back reduced versions of the pass in more recent years, but the original generous AYCJ Pass that was offered in 2009 and 2010 has been retired.


ANTHROPOLOGIE  STORE DISPLAYS
FORUM SHOPS LAS VEGAS
ANTHROPOLOGIE LAS VEGAS


ANTHROPOLOGIE  LAS VEGAS




ANTHROPOLOGIE LAS VEGAS


No comments:

Post a Comment