Saturday, May 12, 2012

PARIS MONTMARTRE


On May 1, we arrived at the "Room with a View" in Montmartre Paris which we reserved for a month sight unseen.  It turns out to be just as described by the owner and we are very comfortable here on the 9th floor overlooking rooftops with a view of the Sacre-Coeur in the distance (far distance).    As long as the ancient elevator keeps running we should be fine.  The very best part of our apartment is that we seem to be living where the Parisians live and thankfully away from the hordes of tourists.  We have a park close by that is continually filled with kids and parents. 

  The fact that most of the people here are thin will always be a puzzle to me due to the fact that every other corner has a bakery on it.  How can fresh bread and tempting pastries keep people so thin?  Apparently, obesity in France is on the increase  and it is being blamed on fast foods like McDonald's - this doesn't pass my "garage logic" test.     

I hesitate to write about Paris because I think everything that could have been said has already been said many times already.  I was amazed at all of the books, blogs and movies available on Paris in preparing for this trip.  I read many books before arriving and there were hundreds out there that I missed.  I made notes and have added lots of travel books on my kindle (many free from the library) and, of course, we have our laptops to research whatever we need.   Not sure what all I will accomplish but my main goal is to experience a month in Paris in my Vintage years.

Photos of Montmartre:

SACRE-COEUR

SACRE-COEUR

AU LAPIN AGILE
PICASSO'S FAVORITE HAUNT


LA BONNE FRANQUETTE
ARTISTS' HAUNT - EARLY 1900'S

VINEYARD  RUE SAINT-VINCENT
THE "VIGNE DE MONTMARTRE"




No comments:

Post a Comment